SLMANA Eastern Region INC.
The 2013 SLMANA sessions will provide an exciting glimpse of what lies ahead. The focus of this symposium will be on the prevention of medical disorders.
|8:30 – 9.15 a.m.||Registration and Breakfast|
Moderator: Lal Samarasinghe, MD
|9.15 am||Welcome Remarks by SLMANA President: Suranganee De Lanerolle, MD|
|9.30 am||Darshi Sunderam, MD – Topic: A New Paradigm in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes|
|10.00 am||Thinesh Dahanayake, MD – Topic: Update in COPD Exacerbation|
|10.30 am||Nimali Fernando, MD – Topic: Social Media in Medicine: Fighting Childhood Obesity|
|11.00 am||Shirvinda Wijesekera MD – Topic: Management and Work Up of Low Back Pain for the Primary Care Physician|
|11.30 am||Lunch Break|
Moderator: Sanath Nallainathan, MD
|12.00 pm||Jeevendra Martyn, MD – Topic: ‘Playing with Natural Toxins to Study Neurotransmission in Health and Disease”|
|12.30 pm||Sanath Nallainathan, MD – Topic: Physical Activity and the Brain|
|1.00 pm||Suranganee De Lanerolle, MD – Topic: Successful Aging with Moving Body|
|1.30 ppm||Sandira V. Segaram, MD – Topic: Dementia|
|2:00 p.m. – 3.00 p.m.||SLMANA EASTERN REGION INC – Annual General Meeting|
CME COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Darshi Sunderam, MD (Chair)
Selvarani Richards, MD (Co chair)
Lal Samarasinghe, MD
Rohan Perera, MD
Gnana Sunderam, MD
This activity is appropriate for all physicians. Other healthcare professionals are welcome to attend as well.
Upon successful completion of this program, the participant should be able to;
- Identify ways of using social media to enhance medical practice.
- Apply social media to a medical practice as a way of disseminating relevant information to their patients.
- New horizons in the treatment of Dementia
- Pathophysiology and Methods to diagnose Dementia
- Recognize at risk patient for COPD exacerbations.
- Identify pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapy for patients with recurrent COPD exacerbations.
- Prevention and treatment of Neurological disorders in Children and Adults.
- Effects of physical activity on the brain and its relevance in clinical settings
- The natural history of Type 2 Diabetes
- Organs involved in the development of glucose intolerance in Type 2 Diabetes.
- Learn how nerve communicates its messages to skeletal muscle in the normal state.
- Learn how disease changes the physiology of neurotransmission.
- The need for aerobic exercise, music and dancing for successful aging without disease.
- The need of reduction of carbohydrates 20-40% intake to postpone aging.
AMA Credit Designation Statement: East Orange General Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit (s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
East Orange General Hospital is accredited by the Medical Society of New Jersey to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
All faculty participating in Continuing Medical Education activities provided by East Orange General Hospital are expected to disclose to the audience any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of their presentation/materials. This program is provided by East Orange General Hospital.
Thinesh Dahanayake MD
Attending Pulmonary/Critical Care Physician,
Pulmonary Physicians of Norwich, P.C.
William Backus Hospital, Norwich, CT
Suranganee De Lanerolle M.D., M.R.C.P. (U.K.), D.P.N. (N),FAANEM
St Catherine of Sienna Hospital in Smithtown, New York.
Neurological Practice at Suffolk Neurology & Neurophysiology PC.
Nimali Fernando MD, MPH, FAAP
Pediatrician, Yum Pediatrics
Founder, Director of “The Doctor Yum Project”
J.A.Jeevendra Martyn, MD, FRCA, FCCM
Professor of Anesthesiology, Harvard Medical School,
Director Clinical & Biochemical Pharmacology Laboratory
Anesthetist, Massachusetts General Hospital;
Anesthetist-in-Chief, Shriners Hospital for Children, Boston MA
Sanath Nallainathan MD M.R.C.P. (UK) D.CH (London)
Associate Clinical Professor Pediatrics
Yale School of Medicine, New Haven CT
Section Chief, Pediatric Neurology
Bridgeport Hospital Bridgeport CT.
Sandira V. Segaram MD,FACP Attending physician
Hackettstown Regional Medical Ctr.
Newton Memorial and St. Clare’s Hospital. N.J.
Darshi Sunderam MD
Chief of Endocrinology
East Orange General Hospital, East Orange N.J.
Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital, Greystone, Park, N.J.
Shirvinda Wijesekera M.D.
The Orthopedic Group LLC
199 Whitney Ave
New Haven CT 06511